Friday, January 15, 2010

A photo-a-day keeps the focus away...



I was midway through my seventh year of taking and posting a photo every day when the process became too stressful. Panic would set in when I'd realize late in the evening that I hadn't posted a photo for that day. That is neither a learning nor a creative frame of mind.

When I began PADing in June 2003, I hoped to train my eyes to see possible compositions everywhere and hone my technical skills - in order to know what settings and lenses were best for the scene I was shooting. I think I've accomplished both goals. I know I now see photos everywhere. And my friends and family have become accustomed to me stopping to snap the odd or unusual... "Why is your mother taking a picture of grass growing between the cracks in the sidewalk?" "(son shrugs)That's my mom.". I keep at least one camera with me at all times. The dedication to the project has made me a better photographer on the whole. But it has not allowed me to narrow my focus and find my photographic center. I have so many photos in so many online galleries that the good ones.. the ones that truly are my best work, are lost in the barrage of 365 photos a year (not including the extras!). Like firing a machine gun, I have pointed my camera at anything and everything in an effort NOT TO MISS A DAY!

With the (self-imposed) pressure off, I can now focus my attention and my camera on making a photograph for the right reasons.

5 comments:

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Ann said...

To stop something which has, in effect, become an addiction is admirable and I am sure that your photography will now grow in different ways. I am in my third year and cannot countenance the idea of giving up. It truly is an addiction which must run its course. I shall miss your daily photo but I'm sure I will enjoy all the more your work when you do post something. Good luck.

Faye White said...

Thanks for your support Ann. I'm not expecting every photo from now on to be a masterpiece (lol), but I know it will be part of an experiment and/or learning experience and not just because I needed to post something that day. :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing good about self imposed pressure. I agree with your feelings of the pros and cons of PAD'ing. I too, have posted images just to post to accomplish the goal. It's made me reach inside and some interesting images came from that. I no longer have the need to post everyday. That's freeing!

I enjoy your images, Faye. You have a creative eye and wonderful vision. I hope you keep nurturing and listening to your creative muse. There is so much more for you to create and present to us.

Hope you have a wonderful week!!

Brent said...

I've never been able to do a true PAD for the exact reasons you state, Faye. I have a respect for those who are able to pull it off for one year, let alone seven.