Thursday, October 14, 2010

twenty-three


Nothing is working these days... Life's a struggle that repeats every twenty-four hours. I know that I have to move forward... look forward.

This year marks twenty-three years of being cancer free. In the past I have always given myself a little high-five for still being here. This year, I don't feel as though I have survived.

I'm not producing any photographs that make me happy, although I sold three prints last month.

I am reminded of something a friend once wrote:

"Being aimless is looking at a flower and seeing a flower. Aimless would be never confronting fear or seeking an understanding of its cause and being held captive by it. Aimless is living on one’s knees. Aimless is being someone else and never knowing it.

 And as often as necessary, breathe"

3 comments:

Monte Stevens said...

Yes, life is a struggle. The mystics of all faiths repeat that theme in all their writings. I also feel the west works so hard at making our life cushy, we numb ourselves with drugs, alcohol, entertainment and just plain avoidance. Being 23 years cancer free tells me you have faced the struggle of life with your own personal path. I find that to be a beautiful life, one we all can be thankful for. The gifts you offer us with your writing and photography are the result of your daily struggles. So, I'm thankful for that.

Three prints huh. That's more than I've sold, or bought.\ in the past 5 years. :-)

Anonymous said...

23 years is a huge achievement. Be proud to take the journey towards 23 more.

I for one enjoy seeing if you posted a new photo each day. You inspire me to be creative in my photography.

Maybe you just need a kick start to photograph something fun & beautiful in this world. Try 1 week of just cat and/or flower photos. Those are fun subjects.

Faye White said...

Thank you both for your encouragement. I am grateful for many things - my health and the fact that I have a home and loving family.

I used to say "Cheer up, things could be worse." To which my husband would respond "But they could always be better too." I seem to be somewhere in between these days.