Saturday, February 13, 2010

a white diversion


I love the eerie quiet that snow brings... as if time has stopped and there is only this moment.

Snowfall in the South - I think I've mentioned it before - everything stops and we all ooh-and-ahhh at the snow-covered lawns and trees. We have the luxury of this because it only lasts a day or two so we aren't faced with going about our daily routines. Everything is closed and we all have food in the house because as soon as the weather forecasters mention the possibility of snow, everyone dashes out to the food store for (I kid you not) milk, bread and orange juice. People also head for the hardware stores to buy sleds. hehehe... I have a toboggan in my basement that has never been used. It's a smart business man who buys a few of these in the off-season just for this day.

It's beginning to melt now and will most likely all be gone in a day or two and normalcy will resume. In the meantime though, it's pretty to look at... from a warm vantage point indoors. I'd love to get a picture of my house in the snow, but I can't venture out with my foot still in a surgical boot. Oh well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the quiet of a snow fall can be deafening. I love it but not the shoveling, driving and cold that always follows it. Interesting, a few days ago you posted an image of a raging river on your property and now you have snow.

Toboggans are fun. Once that foot heals you may have to get it out and use it. Happy Valentines to you!