Sunday, February 21, 2010

Right now, today...


"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." - Buddha

I should write this on my hand and read it every morning. I've been spending too much time dwelling on the past. It's difficult not to swing the gun around and aim for the future. Make plans... that's what I tell myself. But to concentrate on the present moment, that is not so easy. I am impatient. The here-and-now is not happy. Instead, it is merely going through the motions and marking another day off the calendar.

So... how do I make this day, this present moment, what I want it to be? Okay, first the question "What do I want on this day?" There's a saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I don't know. As soon as I figure this out, I'll get back to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I post this question, "Do we have to know where we are going?" How do we accept the present is a good question, one we almost all have asked. A few years ago I discovered the word "want" was written all over my journal pages. As I read back over a page the word "want" seemed to be in bold black letters and most of what I had written was about the past and the future. I understood at the time I was not comfortable with the present and therefore wanted out. With slow progress I've come to accept who I am, where I'm at and that I'm on my way somewhere. I have so much to be grateful for. And, some of those are the moments I've already lived, some are what I live now and some are the ones yet to live.

Hope you have had a good weekend and enjoyed your ceegar!