Monday, December 13, 2010

Get up, dammit!



For years, we've had two lighted deer out on the lawn at Christmas time. The rest of the year, they are stored in the basement. I thought I would drag them out this year because I really do think that they look pretty at night and it seemed a simple enough task. 

Now, I must tell you that my lawn slopes downhill - all of it. So getting anything that is meant to stand on level ground... doesn't work well. My husband used to come up with all sorts of methods to get these creatures to remain upright. Wood, rope and 'whatever' was used. I never examined the how's and why's - the deer were standing, they remained standing throughout the season and I was happy.

So much the metaphor for my life now that I am the one who must figure out how to keep things upright (including myself). But I try. I take each hurdle as it comes and deal with it as best I can. But there are moments that I look to the sky and say "Really? This is going to be my test today? A damn deer?"


"Now you listen to me, young lady! Even if we're *horribly mangled*, there'll be no sad faces on Christmas!" The Grinch, to Cindy Lou Who.

2 comments:

Monte Stevens said...

Keeping the reindeer up sounds like a monumental task and hopefully one that will be accomplished. I suppose that's one reason I've never put any up nor even thought about putting them up.

From my vantage point you seem to be standing upright rather well. You're traveling, writing, photographing, blogging, cleaning, and moving right along. That's pretty cool to me!

shopaholicann said...

Ingenuity and lateral thinking and you'll succeed. Think happy Yuletide thoughts too ;)