Thursday, May 06, 2010

first and last


I attended a three-day photography event in the Smoky Mountains last weekend. In the past, I had purposely avoided these events because 1) I don't like the idea of lining everyone up in the same spot and shooting the same thing and 2) I'm not a "group" person... I don't enjoy hanging around meeting rooms - even with fellow photographers.

So... although I love the photo above and also several others that I took over the weekend, I will not be signing up for another organized photo shoot. However, I will continue to travel to places that I want to see and take photographs on my own.

5 comments:

Lee Rudd said...

I thought the same thing before the first workshop I went on. Mine had 3 people on, and we were left alone to capture the images so we had a diverse selection of images at the end of the workshop - hardly like we had been in the same place! I suppose I was lucky.

Ann said...

Well done you for giving it a go anyway. You certainly have some lovely images.

Tom Dills said...

Looks like a candidate for your 2011 calendar. A lovely view from one of my favorite sunset locations.

Unknown said...

I understand your sentiment Faye. I saw photos taken during that photo shoot of so many photographers in a row taking sunrise shots.... really weird like clones. The essence of photography is lost to a great extent. An individual captures something of beauty and then shares it with all of us. You have great insight into just who you are and your plain spoken views are like by me.

Brent said...

Yeah, I agree with Ann. At least you showed up to one of those things! I couldn't get myself to one of those things if someone paid me. I also hate groups.