Thursday, January 11, 2018

Who you gonna call?


A friend is the first person you want to call when you hear good news. A friend remembers that you don't like pickles on your sandwich.

Friends. This is today's photo prompt and it has brought on a lot of soul searching. Over the years, I've lost friends because they moved away, or passed away, or ended up on the wrong side of politics.

I searched through my blog entries for "friend"; wow - the memories! And the realization that my writing has become boring and not-one-bit-insightful. Sigh.

I suppose I have more virtual friends than real these days. Of course, they are not friends by the true definition. Acquaintenances? 

When I think of the friends who-are-no-more, I realize that for most of the friendship, I was overlooking things about them that I did not admire. In many cases, they were status seekers; it was all about cars, houses, vacations. Things/appearances mattered more than anything else. It's easy to get caught up in that mindset - keeping up with the Jones'. And when you can't (or frankly just don't want to), it puts a strain on the friendship and eventually you find reasons not to keep in touch.

So, my actual friend list is short but genuine. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.