Friday, June 06, 2014

Dream a little dream


My dreams are often troubling; not nightmarish, just unsettling. Fear and betrayal are common feelings; my house being broken into, people leaving me behind, confusion when I try to get out of a building, out of a parking garage, out of an airport... you get the idea.

I can't remember having a happy dream, one where everything is wonderful... or at least not worrisome. I know that we can't control what we dream about, but they do arise from somewhere in our unconscious mind so is there a way to 'quiet' the brain so it is less likely to produce situations full of worry and trouble?

I'm not looking for Rom-Com dreams... just peaceful walks on a beach or sitting next to a waterfall or just feeling happy and contented.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." - Buddha

2 comments:

Monte Stevens said...

Wish I had the answer to your deep question. What comes to mind is taking action and walking those beaches so they become a more integrated part of our lives or use imagery to meditate on these scenes. And, not placing in our lives books or movies that can bring disturbing images into our minds, they may take root. If you find an answer please share with us.

Faye White said...

I've been thinking along similar lines today, Monte. I often read before going to sleep and maybe the type of books I'm reading is causing some inner turmoil. Or perhaps I'm over-thinking... as I often do. ;)