Monday, April 16, 2012

Two-to-One


Two books I recently read were both about grieving. I didn't choose them because of this topic; one was recommended by a writer-friend and the other was by one of my favorite authors. In both stories, the wife died in an accident. It must be even more painful to lose someone unexpectedly. I wouldn't know - everyone I have lost died from an illness. Even my dad, who died of a heart attack, had had one about a year before, so we knew he was not a picture of health. 

In the first book, the widower grieved long and hard. In the second, the husband remarried within a couple of years. The first book, though listed as a novel, was based on true events and real people. I'm drawing no conclusions from either of these books, but I have come to understand and accept that 'moving on' does not necessarily mean finding a new spouse/partner... though I do believe that society in general feels this way.


4 comments:

Monte Stevens said...

My mother would alwasy ask me if I was dating anyone. My repeated answer was "No, but I do have a few lady friends I do things with." About four years ago when asking me and I again gave her the same answer, she responded differently. She told me, "Maybe your not suppose to get married again." I am content single. There are those times I miss not sharing in intimate things. I have plenty of freedom to go and do as I please. Plus, I don't mind hanging out with myself. And, I agree, society thinks we need to be with someone. Aloneness is healthy but loneliness is not.

Ann Courtney said...

I have a dear friend who's wife died 2 years ago.She was the love of his life since their teenage years and died before reaching 50. For him life "alone" will forever be just that as she held so much of his whole being. If he meets someone some day that lucky person won't ever have the whole of him.
We all die a little at the loss of a loved one.
Have you read The Knitting Circle by Anne Hood? A small window on how some people handle their grief. Not a "self help" book but a good read, if one can use that term!

Brent said...

One of your best images. Some of your best words.

John - Visual Notebook said...

Exceptional image - I love it when someone can add just the right texture to an image. It's much more difficult than it looks.