Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Then and Now


I visited my sister-in-law last week and she had boxes (and boxes) of old photos from her sister who passed away last year.

There was a photo taken of the back of my house; not sure of the date, but the house was still very new (lower left corner). So many changes and additions have taken place over the years. There were other photos of me and my in-laws sitting on the patio. I tried to think back at what I felt about my life at that time. Being caught up in children, school and career, I think I felt that the best was yet to come. The early years of a marriage, parenthood and finding one's way in the world seem to be a struggle when you're in the middle of the storm. But there are no guarantees that when you get the kids through school or when you get the promotion you wanted, that life will be a breeze. 

There have been some very good years between these two photographs. Did I recognize that when I was living through them?

4 comments:

Monte Stevens said...

Oh, my gosh, Faye, that is an awesome question to ask. My guess would be that we don't. We become aware only as we grow older or because life changes so much. After losing a marriage, the family structure, and a job all within a year did I become aware of what I really had in my life. Looks like that tree sure has grown. :-)

Faye White said...

You make a good point, Monte. We tend to focus on what we don't have instead of what we do have in our lives. Hmmm... I have much work ahead of me. ;-)

Ann Courtney said...

So many of us have more than enough in our lives and yet we, being human, continue to strive for more and so many times forget to enjoy that already within our grasp.
As I am in the middle of a declutter your words are timely and will make me redouble my efforts so that, in time, I may enjoy what I have to the full without the stress of so many "belongings"

Brent said...

In the best moments of my life--when I was having fun, partying, loving life AND people--I did recognize them. I did pinch myself. And a part of me knew they wouldn't last. At least, not with the person I was with. The problem, of course, is trying to find similar excitement and fun and passion with another person. That's a lot more tricky.