Wednesday, June 30, 2010

sitting here, waiting for happy



I finished my SoFoBoMo book yesterday... I wish I could say that I learned something in the process; or that I feel newly inspired or have felt a sense of accomplishment. Instead, the conclusion is anticlimactic.

The summer drones on... with extreme heat and severe thunderstorms. I went to the pool yesterday morning. I like to get there early to enjoy the peace and quiet, while also getting some exercise. I can't tolerate the hottest part of the day, even in close proximity to the water. I remembered another time, a couple of years ago, when we came early to the pool. The first thing I usually do is clear the toys, floats, etc that have blocked the skimmers overnight. On that morning, when I pulled away the toys, I was greeted by two huge bullfrog eyes! Can I walk on water? Perhaps not, but I can move very quickly! Jeremiah hopped out of the skimmer basket and into the pool. He was eventually rescued and evicted from the pool area (read: over the fence). I didn't realize at the time what a happy memory this would be.

We take these moments for granted. If I had looked around me on that morning, I would have seen the happy, smiling faces of my family; not one of us could imagine that it would ever be anything different. There is a phrase "The world was made round so we would not see too far down the road."

So now I am waiting for happy, hoping I will recognize its smiling face.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I feel that we should be very grateful that the world is round for that very reason. It would never do to get too used to being in a constant state of anything, though ongoing happiness would be pleasant indeed.
Your book is a fine achievement - each image has something more to say upon each visit.

Amy Sakurai said...

As always, your work is stellar, Faye. Each photo in your book is fascinating and beautiful... and even though you may not have visibility to the fact, you and your photos are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your talent and your time.

~Amy