Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I cannot see...

I cannot see...

The Waiting Place…
…for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

~ from "The Places You'll Go, Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

Howard Gebeaux said...

Faye, this hits home. I have to admit I'm not really familiar with Seuss. I left that to my kids, I guess. But I think I've spent my entire life waiting. For what? I don't know. Perhaps just for those mundane things Seuss mentions. But this waiting has tied me down, has kept me from being me. I'd sure like to change that, but not sure how. Somehow I feel money has a lot to do with it. I am poor. So I can't do a lot of what I "want" to do. Maybe "waiting" and "acceptance" are two sides of the same coin. I don't know, but I am happy for your future adventures. I hope they work out for you.