Friday, October 19, 2007

on a style


I'm not sure if I have yet developed a 'style' that is recognizable by others. I do think that style is irrelevant of subject matter, although one's expertise may be stronger in one area than another. There are styles pertaining to a classification, landscapes or portraits for example, but that is not the same as a personal style. If two (or more!) photographers shoot the same subject, technical knowledge notwithstanding (we assume each will get focus, composition and lighting), the resulting images should differ with regards to their individual styles.
What I do know, is that there is a moment when I open an image file or view it in-camera, when I realize whether or not the photo has what I believe is my signature. I can't define it and certainly not every photo that comes out of my camera has it, which is frustrating. As long as it happens more often than not, I'm satisfied.

No comments: